IV Conscious Sedation
Can’t imagine feeling relaxed during dental visits? Has fear of dental visits kept you from receiving the care you need? Now it is possible to relax while receiving the care you need with intravenous (IV) sedation. IV sedation eases your nervousness and allows you to relax during any dental procedure. Though IV sedation offers a deeper relaxation state than other forms of sedation, you will still be aware of your surroundings and able to communicate with our team if needed. Dr. Somaiya is one of only a few dentists in the area certified by the Ohio State Dental Board to administer IV sedation. She wants to make sure all of her patients receive a comfortable experience at Seva Dental.
What Can I Expect with IV Conscious Sedation?
- Most patients report having little or no memory of treatment while under IV sedation, yet they are still able to communicate with our team if we need them to do so.
- You may feel like you are “asleep” during your procedure, and some patients do fall asleep because they are so relaxed, but IV sedation does not put you to sleep. It induces a deep sense of calmness so that you are not worried about your dental procedure.
- We can complete almost any treatment you need with IV sedation, from crowns and fillings to deep cleanings, extractions, and wisdom teeth removal. If you experience any dental anxiety, let Dr. Somaiya know and she will determine if you are a good candidate for IV sedation.
- Your physical well-being and safety are important to us. Your sedation dosage and level of sedation are meticulously administered to make sure they fit your individual needs.
- While you are under sedation, Dr. Somaiya closely monitors your vital signs throughout your entire dental procedure.
- After your dental procedure, we will let you rest in the treatment room until you recover from IV sedation. Normally, patients recover from IV sedation in about 30 minutes, but still feel drowsy. For this reason, we ask that you arrange for someone to drive you to and from your dental appointment.
- You should be able to go back to your normal activities the day after your appointment.
When Should I Get IV Sedation?
Most of the time Dr. Somaiya recommends IV sedation to those who are undergoing oral surgery or extensive dental procedures. However, IV sedation can be administered before any dental procedure. If you are feeling anxious about your upcoming appointment, let us know so that we can schedule a complimentary sedation consultation before your dental procedure. Dr. Somaiya can determine if you are a good candidate for IV sedation, and you can go over any of your concerns or questions.
Who Benefits from IV Sedation?
Although IV sedation is primarily used to help patients with dental anxiety relax, other patients can benefit from IV sedation, too. Others who may benefit from IV sedation include:
- Patients with a sensitive gag reflex
- Patients with TMJ or other neuromuscular disorder that makes it difficult to keep the mouth open for long periods of time
- Patients who fear needles
- Patients who are sensitive to noises or smells
- Patients receiving multiple or complex dental procedures
How Do I Prepare for IV Sedation?
At Seva Dental, your comfort is always our top priority. If you have any questions about IV sedation or your upcoming dental appointment, please give us a call. We are here to help you.
- Refrain from eating or drinking anything for six hours prior to your dental procedure.
- Have a spouse, friend, or family member drive you to and from Seva Dental.
- Relax. You are in great hands.
If you are ready to find out just how relaxing and effective IV sedation can be, call our office today to schedule a no-obligation consultation!
Nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, is a colorless blend of oxygen and nitrous oxide gases with a pleasant smell. Inhaling nitrous oxide creates a sense of well-being and relaxation, which can help individuals who experience anxiety or fear about dental treatment feel more at ease. Nitrous oxide increases your pain threshold and, when necessary, makes the administration of anesthetic injections more comfortable. It is also helpful for patients who have a strong gag reflex that interferes with dental treatments.
- Nitrous oxide is one of the safest anti-anxiety agents used in dentistry and has very few side effects and risks.
- Nitrous oxide is non-addictive.
- You will remain fully conscious throughout treatment.
- Administration is comfortable and painless, involving no more than a mask over the nose. This makes it an excellent option for children with dental anxieties or individuals with mental or physical disabilities; however, nitrous oxide is not recommended for individuals who are claustrophobic.
- Patients feel calm and relaxed almost immediately.
- Breathing pure oxygen for several minutes after treatment completely reverses the effects of nitrous oxide.
Oral Conscious Sedation
For patients whose anxiety is too severe for nitrous oxide alone, but not dramatic enough for IV sedation, we offer oral conscious sedation. This involves taking a sedative administered at the beginning of your visit by Dr. Somaiya. By the time we begin your treatment, you will feel relaxed and ready for care.
- You can stay awake while still feeling significantly calm and relaxed.
- The effects of the prescription sedatives are usually mild.
- You will need to have someone escort you to and from the dental appointment.